SLPs Wine and Cheese's Podcast
Ep 142 Baby Led Feeding Ft. Julie Laux
Quote: “TIME merely extends fear while KNOWLEDGE & UNDERSTANDING can help overcome it.”
9 Things you NEED TO KNOW about CHOKING when starting solids
#1 It is totally normal to feel anxious when starting solids.
Millions of parents have successfully followed baby-led feeding and the key to getting past your fear is through knowledge and understanding of how baby-led feeding works, research behind it, and how to reduce the risk of choking.
#2 Two research studies have concluded that baby-led feeding does NOT increase the risk of choking. Read the studies here:
#4 Gagging is normal when starting solids. Baby is gagging is they are coughing, making wrenching sounds, mouth open / tongue out, or watery eyes. If baby appears to be gagging, let them work it out themselves.
Choking is when baby’s airway is blocked and baby is either silent or making a high-pitched wheeze sound. They also may look scared, and you need to intervene.
#5 Caregivers should take an infant CPR and choking response course before starting solids so they are prepared in the rare case of emergency. @safebeginnings has an Online Course we recommend to all parents!
#6 High risk choking hazard foods should be avoided or modified so baby can enjoy them safely. CDC.gov has a list of top choking hazards.
#7 Learning how to properly serve food to baby based on age is an important part of baby-led feeding. We cover a variety of foods in our program.
Generally speaking, food is served as sticks and cooked until soft for 6-8 months and then served as small, bite-sized pieces for 9+ months once baby has their pincer grasp.
#8 Babies already know how to swallow, but they need to learn how to chew. The best way to teach chewing is with chewable solids, which we explain in our program.
#9 The safest place to eat is sitting upright in a highchair. Do not feed baby on the go or in a reclined position. Remove all distractions and sit next to baby while they eat.
View all episodes
154. Ep 154 The episode about books... and chicken48:13Mike Recine and Benjamin Recine join us for this episode that was supposed to be about books but ended up being mostly about chicken.
153. Ep 153 Valentines and Anniversaries35:11Deb's son Benjamin joins us in this episode while we chat about Valentine's Day in real life and in speech therapy.
Ep 152 Travel Ft Julie (again)58:53Deb and Maria chat travel and later in the episode you here Deb's first convo with Julie before we decided to get more organized and record a re-do!
151. Ep 151 What the Fecht?! Ft Julie.365.weekend33:02In this episode Deb chats with Julie Fechter about home health, thicken liquids, and being a khunt.
150. Ep 150 SLPS WAC of the Past! A look back at Ep 77 Fluency Pt 3 Ft Stephen Groner01:06:15In this episode we take a look back at SLPs WAC of the past!! This is episode 77 Fluency part 3 ft SLP.Stephen
149. Ep 149 Maria should complain more30:02In this episode Deb and Maria explore the topics of politics, complaining, being toxically positive, and whether or not we like mayonnaise.
148. Ep 148 Speech Therapy on the Playground57:01In this episode Deb and Maria chat about speech therapy on the playground and Maria chooses her fav episode of the past.
147. It's 2023 and We're Back!21:52It's 2023 and Deb and Maria are back and although this audio is absolutely messy we decided to show up anyway. We promise to do better moving forward. See ya every Tuesday. Email us firstname.lastname@example.org and follow us on instagram @slps_wine_and_cheese_pod
Ep 146 On the Fly with The Type B SLP31:42Abby and Deb chat about conduction speech sessions on the fly and what toys with like and can live without.