Serious Soft Skills
Podcast 27: Using Soft Skills Effectively in Your Job Search
In the second week of the Six Weeks of Serious Soft Skills Strategy, Dr. Tobin Porterfield and Bob Graham talk about integrating soft skills into cover letters and resumes.
Most employers continue to focus on technical skills, which are critical in their hiring decisions. But applicants who look for matches and exploit those matches can position themselves ahead of other candidates and show employers why they are perfect for a position.
Among the topics they discuss in this episode are:
- Why job searches usually mean short staffing when they need to make the right choice when short-staffed
- How to make an employer see how you fit into an organization
- Understanding a company and how to be a perfect match
- Storytelling and being “sticky” in the process
- The categorization effect on hiring
- How to cut through the stack of resumes
- Why employers are looking to eliminate applicants
- The difference between job qualifiers and job winners
- A practical application of what we are discussing with an actual job posting
How storytelling is key to getting interviews, especially if you are age 40 and above
Week 3 of Six Weeks of Serious Soft Skills Strategy will explore how to integrate soft skills into cover letters and resumes to improve your chances of getting a job interview.