Serious Soft Skills
Podcast 31: Helping Applicants Use Soft Skills to Make Hiring Decisions Easier
This is the last week of our Six Weeks of Serious Soft Skills Strategy and this week we look at a specific job posting and talk about how the employer could have better integrated soft skills into the job posting, valuable information for employers and job seekers.
In this week’s episode, Dr. Tobin Porterfield and Bob Graham discuss various aspects of integrating soft skills into a job announcement.
Among the topics they discuss are:
- Getting soft skills into the competencies and qualifications an employee needs
- How to combine soft skills into one bullet in an employment announcement
- Taking what’s in the job add and adding a story about your soft skills
- Talking about a situation that covers lots of soft skills in the cover letter
- Why a story is worth a thousand promises of what we can do
- Using an employment advertisement to set good candidates up to succeed
- How to show growth, not experience, at a job
- How applicants can read between the lines of a job posting
- Being a rock versus a rock star
- Using soft skills to develop the fiber of your organization
We start the first of two weeks of how to become a Networking Ninja. Networking is an important career skill, encompassing many soft skills. We’ll break it down and give you some real good hints for networking effectively, even if you are an introvert.